Open/Close Menu The Only Name You Need To Know For Tax Preparation

Higher Education

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Deciding on which college to attend and how you’re going to pay for it are two very important decisions to make. Complete the FAFSA on the Web.

Education Credits and Student Loan Interest
You may be eligible to claim the Hope or Lifetime Learning Credit or student loan interest as an additional tax deduction.

Tuition and Fees Deduction
You may be able to deduct qualified tuition and related expenses that you pay for yourself, your spouse, or a dependent.

Scholarship and Fellowship Grants
Find out if your scholarship or fellowship is taxable.

International Students
This section includes information on taxes for both aliens living in the U.S. and U.S. citizens attending schools abroad.

Your First Job — Whether it’s a summer job or part-time work after school, not all the money you earn will make it to your pocket.

Do You Need to File a Federal Income Tax Return?
Every year millions of people file Federal Income Tax returns even though they are not required to. Find out if your income is below the filing requirement.

e-file – File Your Return Using IRS e-file
Use the internet and get your refund directly deposited to your bank account.

What Tax Records To Keep
Now that you’ve filed, find out what records you should hang on to, and for how long.

Where’s My Refund?
You’ve filed your federal income tax return and now you want the lowdown on your refund. Track it through this secure Web site.

Publications and forms that address tax issues for students.

Form 1040EZ, Income Tax Return for Single filers and Joint Filers With No Dependents and the Instructions
Form 8863, Education Credits (Hope and Lifetime Learning Credits)
Form 8917, Tuition and Fees Deduction
Publication17, Your Federal Income Tax

Helpful Tools and Resources

What if I can’t pay?
File anyway. Check here if you file late or get a bill from IRS.

IRS Withholding Calculator
Having too much or too little tax withheld? Try this easy-to-use calculator.

Taxpayer Advocate Service
Experiencing economic harm? You may be eligible for TAS assistance.

Taxpayers should consider claiming tax credits for which they might be eligible when completing their federal income tax returns, advises the IRS. A tax credit is a dollar-for-dollar reduction of taxes owed. Some credits are refundable – taxes could be reduced to the point that a taxpayer would receive a refund rather than owing any taxes.